10) Face at the window. Players go from house to house in some street (not too close to home!), appearing suddenly at windows, while someone else films it. The player to elicit the most shocked reactions from the occupants wins.
9) Guess the minor sexual misdemeanour. Everyone writes down one of their own – it has to be something you’re not afraid to admit to, eg sleeping with a friend’s girlfriend many years ago at college. The slips of paper are then jumbled up and after everyone picks one they are read out. You write down whose misdemeanour you think it is. A prize to whoever gets the most right.
8) Guess the European finance minister. The host researches the personalities of Euro finance ministers and writes a brief profile on each. Each player is secretly assigned a profile and must then mix with everyone else in a party scenario. After two hours, everyone has to guess who was which minister. A much-loved alternative game at Christmas.
7) Insinuate yourself into a different household. Those who wish to play go out into a fairly distant neighbourhood where they are not known and find a house that appears to have a lot of guests. Carrying a box of booze, they knock on the door and spin a yarn to get inside (but it cannot be a simple explanation of the game you are playing). First person to text a pic of themselves having a drink in the household wins.
6) Charades for things that do not exist. Think of a film or book etc that does not exist and act it out. For example, invent a name for a new Stephen King novel about a monster in smalltown America. It will take the other players a very long time to guess each title so leave plenty of time.
5) House rat. The host buys a rat in advance, then releases it into the house when the game begins. First person to catch or kill it wins. The best alternative games aren’t complicated!
4) Pharmaceutical giant on trial. One person plays the judge and the remaining players are split into the defence and prosecution teams. The prosecution will claim the drug firm hyped up the likely extent of some major disease, eg swine flu, while the drug firm will deny this. Judge to decide who wins.
3) Drinkoff for kids. Children do shots. Last one standing wins. Again, simplicity reigns when it comes to alternative games.
2) Hunt the paedo. One person plays an innocent paediatrician and everyone else plays confused people from the local estate who besiege the house, thinking he is a paedophile. If he can keep them at bay for 15 minutes, he wins. A cracking Christmas game.
1) Pin the tail on the industrial estate. One person drives the others to an industrial estate, where they are blindfolded, spun round and told to pin a paper tail on the premises of local firms specified by the driver. Most consistently accurate pinner wins.
Enjoy your alternative games this Christmas!Tweet
5 Alternative Gifts And Treats For Mother's Day